Ms. DeWalt is a Shareholder and Director of the firm and Chair of the firm’s Employment practice area.
She is also a member of the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Construction and Technology Transactions practice areas. Ms. DeWalt is an experienced trial attorney with a diverse civil litigation practice. She devotes a significant amount of her practice to defending businesses in discrimination and other employment-related actions. In addition to employment litigation, she also represents clients in commercial litigation and construction law disputes. Ms. DeWalt has tried numerous jury, non-jury and arbitration cases and has prepared and argued many cases on appeal. Apart from the litigation context, she also advises businesses in a wide range of human relations and employment issues, including employee handbooks, personnel policies, employment agreements and restrictive covenants. She also advises clients on ADA Accessibility Guidelines. Ms. DeWalt is a frequent speaker on employment and litigation topics. She is active in various community organizations. Ms. DeWalt has been recognized in Best Lawyers in the area of Litigation – Labor and Employment and named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in Labor and Employment.
- Employment Law
- Non-Competition Agreements and Post-Employment Restrictions
- Civil Litigation
- Obtained dismissal of class action against client alleging violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Pennsylvania Minimum Wage Act.
- Represented senior executive in obtaining an injunction to prevent former employer from enforcing a non-competition agreement against him.
- Represented numerous physicians and physician groups in employment contract negotiations and in litigation to avoid enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Obtained substantial verdict for client for delay and disruption damages in trial before American Arbitration Association.
- Before the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, obtained a ruling that allegations of fraudulent inducement could not evade a no lien provision within a contract containing an integration clause.
- Argued before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on whether same-sex sexual harassment was actionable. Summary judgment dismissal of all claims against client affirmed.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1984
- B.A., The University of the South, Sewanee, 1980 Phi Beta Kappa; Summa Cum Laude
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American and Pennsylvania Bar Associations
- Junior Warden and Vestry, Calvary Episcopal Church
- Former President, PowerLink (support for emerging female-owned businesses)
- Former Board Member, The City Theatre