Mr. Burke rejoined SGK in 2021 as Of Counsel to the firm (having been one of its founding members).
During the period from 2012 through 2020, Mr. Burke served as General Counsel and Vice President of Huntley & Huntley Energy Exploration, LLC, now known as Olympus Energy, LLC, a private equity supported oil and gas exploration and production company and its related companies. In that capacity, he was involved in all strategic aspects of the operations of the companies as the enterprise grew from an initial value of $125 million to one in excess of $1 billion. During this period of rapid expansion, Mr. Burke oversaw all legal matters including, inter alia, extensive leasing activities, (from an initial inventory of 19,000 leasehold acres to one in excess of 100,000), swap transactions, securing and negotiation of financing and the recapitalization of the companies by its primary investor, a New York headquartered private equity company. Mr. Burke also oversaw the restructuring of the enterprise by the creation of a holding company to manage two (2) separate subsidiaries. One subsidiary to be focused on exploration and production activities and the other devoted to midstream transportation of natural gas. In addition, he managed all litigation and regulatory and permitting issues.
Prior to his engagement as General Counsel, during the period from 1990 to 2012, Mr. Burke maintained a broad civil practice with a strong commercial emphasis. His counsel and representation in that period was focused on the financial, industrial and natural resources sectors.
- Oil and Gas Acquisitions and Divestitures
- General Corporate and Finance (Debt and Private Equity)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Regulatory Compliance
- Negotiation of $750 million private equity recapitalization of E & P company and royalty company.
- Acquisition of large regional health care system involving financing of $485 million.
- Representation of private E & P company in the sale of substantially all of its assets in a $4.7 billion transaction.
- Representation of public E & P company for due diligence in the acquisition of several thousand oil and gas leases in the Appalachian Basin in a $3.5 billion transaction.
- Successfully argued the continuing validity of a challenged mineral lease before the Pennsylvania Superior Court reversing the decision of the lower court.
- Successfully argued for the reinstatement of a client’s claim for tortious interference involving a logistics company before the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals while successfully securing the dismissal of a counterclaim.
- Coordinated strategy and filing of amicus briefs by trade association before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court on several cases involving the development of oil and gas.
- J.D. University of Pittsburgh-School of Law, 1981
- BA/BS Political Science/Journalism – Kent State University, 1978
Professional and Community Activities:
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Former Board Member – Marcellus Shale Coalition
- Former Chair – Legal Committee, Marcellus Shale Coalition
- Board Member – Independent Petroleum Association of America
- Former Board Member/Counsel – United Methodist Foundation of Western Pennsylvania
- Board Member (Former Chair) – Jumonville, Inc.