Mr. Smith is Counsel with the firm and a member of the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice area.
Mr. Smith’s practice includes an array of commercial and contractual litigation, including the enforcement of non-compete/non-solicitation agreements, contractual wage claims, shareholder disputes and other complex disputes in both state and federal court. Mr. Smith has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers Magazine as a 2011 and 2013 Rising Star, a distinction given to fewer than 2.5% of all Pennsylvania attorneys.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Smith worked for an international law firm representing clients in matters involving insurance coverage issues, toxic tort litigation, and product liability litigation. Mr. Smith also served as General Counsel and Human Resources/Compliance for a small, healthcare business.
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Toxic Tort and Product Liability Litigation
- Successfully defended an appeal pending in Pennsylvania Superior Court in an asbestos product liability action filed against an equipment manufacturer defendant.
- Obtained the voluntary dismissal of an appeal pending in the New York Appellate Division in an asbestos product liability action against an equipment manufacturer defendant.
- Prevailed on appeal pending in the Pennsylvania Superior Court in a professional liability action.
- Had significant role in drafting appellate brief in a Directors and Officers (D&O) insurance coverage case pending in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Assisted team in negotiating a favorable resolution of an environmental insurance coverage action, an Error & Omissions (E&O) action, a D&O action, and two asbestos insurance coverage actions.
- J.D. University of North Carolina School of Law, 2004
High Honors, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Political Science, Rhodes College, 2001
Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Career Literacy for African American Youth (CLAAY), 2005 – 2009
- Volunteer, Neighborhood Legal Services for Protection from Abuse Orders, 2003 – 2005